Chelsea hammer West Ham 2-0, maintain top spot in Premier League

first_imgDiego Costa and John Terry scored the goals in Chelsea’s 2-0 win over West HamJohn Terry scored for the second straight game and Diego Costa grabbed his 13th goal of the season as Chelsea beat West Ham 2-0 to stay top of the Premier League on Friday. West Ham arrived at Stamford Bridge in fourth place and one of the surprises of the season, but rested key players Alex Song and Diafra Sakho in view of the hectic festive schedule and was cut down to size by Chelsea.Terry tapped home a close-range finish in the 31st minute after a right-wing corner from Cesc Fabregas was headed goalward by Costa.West Ham goalkeeper Adrian made a string of fine saves but could not get anywhere near a low, angled shot from Costa in the 62nd after the Spain striker was fed by Eden Hazard.Substitute Morgan Amalfitano clipped a deft shot against the post in the 87th minute in one of the few chances created by West Ham, which paid for deploying a defensive shape in the first half that allowed Chelsea to seize the initiative.Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho fielded a full-strength lineup, despite a potentially tougher fixture at Southampton coming up on Sunday. And the gulf in the sides was clear from the start as the hosts – three points clear of Manchester City at the start of the day – won a ninth straight home game, boasting 66 percent possession.”We are playing great, everyone can see that,” Terry said. “If we can keep playing like that, it’s going to be tough (to stop Chelsea).”advertisementMourinho accused West Ham of playing “football from the 19th century” after a 0-0 draw between the teams in the corresponding fixture last season, but Terry’s goal ensured there would be no frustration this time for Chelsea.Four days after setting Chelsea on its way to a 2-0 win at Stoke, the former England captain was on hand to poke in from barely two meters out to punish West Ham’s poor marking from a corner.Adrian had already saved well from Gary Cahill and Willian, and the Spanish goalkeeper then tipped aside a curling shot from Nemanja Matic as Chelsea poured forward.Costa looked dangerous throughout and got the goal his performance deserved when he collected a forward pass from Hazard, twisted and turned past Carl Jenkinson, and shot into the bottom corner from just inside the area.Mourinho said he was delighted with the creativity of his team, saying: “It was the football of a team that leads (the league), and leads with the credit that it deserves.”last_img read more

Read more

Tips To Get ‘In The Know’ In Your Career

first_imgWhen we communicate in our jobs or in interviews too many times we expect to be told what we need to know. We assume the person we are in communication with will take the time and effort to provide the appropriate information and maybe even announce the ‘epilogue’ of the end of the discussion. And of course we all realize this is not the case. Communication is two-way and if we don’t ask questions to help us get the information we really need it likely will not come our way.Here are two ways to correctly push for the ‘know’:The Behavioral Question: Interviewers use behavioral questioning all the time by asking for examples of work, actions and activities. They continue the line of questioning by asking for outcome data, specifically what were the results of the example shared. Now this line of questioning can be very helpful and as an employee seeking a promotion or a candidate seeking work you should prepare and practice for behavioral interview questions. Take the process one step further and prepare questions to ask the manager or prospective employer. For instance, if you seek a dynamic culture where career development is provided, ask the employer if the program is offered and follow up by asking for a specific example and outcome. If a promotion is possible and you want assurance your voice and work will be valued, ask for an example of how a previous worker was promoted how the manager put a successful development program in place,  what the outcome was and what you can do to advance in the organization.The Close Question:  In work or interview situations we find ourselves in negotiations where we have the opportunity to close the conversation or event, but we rarely take the time to push for the other side to tell us no. Frankly we are afraid of the response so we don’t ask. Example:”If I complete this project successfully this year will I receive my annual bonus?” Or, “based on the position description, my background and the two interviews I attended, am I the right candidate for the job? And if I am are you prepared to make me an offer?”These questions must be presented in ways that are not offensive and are in the best interest of the organization. So please do so with positive words, actions and a smile never hurts.Bottom line: we need to KNOW and won’t KNOW unless we asklast_img read more

Read more

Time is ripe for Indian hockey to show its potential: Oltmans

first_imgBengaluru, Mar 16 (PTI) Indian mens hockey team has caught international attention in the last few years by virtue of their performances and its time for the past masters of the game to show the world what they are capable of, said chief coach Roelant Oltmans. Oltmans assertion stemmed from Germany and Kalinga Lancers skipper Moritz Fuerstes recent statement after Hockey India League that India can be top three in world hockey soon. “I see it as a compliment that top sides in the world are seeing what India is doing,” said Oltmans about Fuerstes remark. “Maybe three-four years ago they werent even looking at India as a serious competitor. India is getting close to the top sides and now its up to us to show that we can do it,” the Dutchman said at the senior mens national camp underway Sports Authority of India (SAI), Southern Centre here. Having made a good start to the new Olympic cycle with mens Asian Champions Trophy and the prestigious Junior World Cup titles, Oltmans feels the process has been put in place to be the worlds best. Indias next assignment is the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in April, followed by the World League Semi-Final in June, mens Asia Cup in September and the World League Final in December. Oltmans focus now is on building a formidable team for next years World Cup. “I think in the previous Olympic cycle from 2014, we have made a lot of progress. No doubt our focus is on 2020 Tokyo Olympics and the 2018 mens World Cup but we have to get the confidence by doing well in all tournaments,” he said. With 11 new recruits from the Junior World Cup-winning squad in the 33-member core probables list, it is evident that Oltmans is looking at youngsters to be the fulcrum of Indian team. “Every country goes through a transitional phase. I know that Holland already has 12 players from their junior squad though they finished seventh in the Junior World Cup. It is important to invest in the potential of these younger players to make sure they continue to develop,” Oltmans said. More PTI SSC AT ATadvertisementlast_img read more

Read more

15 days agoReal Madrid fullback Sergio Reguilon delighted with Sevilla loan spell

first_imgReal Madrid fullback Sergio Reguilon delighted with Sevilla loan spellby Carlos Volcano15 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid fullback Sergio Reguilon is delighted over his loan spell with Sevilla.Reguilon has quickly established himself as Sevilla’s first-choice left-back, outperforming expectations with the Andalusian club.”I’m very happy with everything that is happening,” Reguilon admitted in Spain’s pre-match press conference.”I’m in a great moment, it’s been a very unusual year.”I have gone from never having played a professional match a year ago to the national team.”When quizzed on his relationship with Real coach Zinedine Zidane, especially with Reguilon only on loan at the moment, the Spanish defender was non-committal.”I don’t think about Zidane, I merely think about myself,” he added.”You never know if I would have had a place [in his team].”I wanted to gain minutes and experience, I’m satisfied with how I’m doing.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read more

National Aboriginal Day Celebrated

first_imgNova Scotians will have the opportunity to learn more about our province’s aboriginal culture on Wednesday, June 21, during National Aboriginal Day. To celebrate the day, Millbrook First Nation will officially open the Glooscap Heritage Centre which is located in the Truro Power Centre. The celebrations include a theatre presentation, musical performances, and a self-guided tour. Other First Nation communities will organize sports events, storytelling sessions, pow wows and presentations on aboriginal history and hold workshops on traditional teaching, drumming, dancing and crafts. Michael Baker, Minister of Aboriginal Affairs, is encouraging all Nova Scotians to take part in the activities and recognize this important celebration. “The Mi’kmaq are the original inhabitants of Nova Scotia and contribute greatly to it. We share a common interest in growing Nova Scotia’s economy, celebrating our culture and heritage and conserving our resources,” said Mr. Baker. “I hope that all Nova Scotians will take the opportunity to attend some of the many events planned for National Aboriginal Day.” National Aboriginal Day was first proclaimed in 1996 by former governor general Romeo LeBlanc. It is held on the summer solstice, the longest day of the year and the first day of summer. Traditionally, summer solstice is the day on which many aboriginal communities celebrate their cultural and spiritual beliefs. For the list of National Aboriginal Day events in Nova Scotia, see the Nova Scotia Department of Aboriginal Affairs website www.gov.ns.ca/abor/ or the Indian and Northern Affairs Canada website at www.inac.gc.ca .last_img read more

Read more

Decision postponed in case of Barbara Kentners accused killer

first_imgWillow FiddlerAPTN NewsA Thunder Bay judge has postponed a decision in a high-profile second-degree murder case.On Tuesday Justice Frank Valente announced he needed until Jan. 21 to make a ruling in the case of Brayden Bushby, the man accused of killing Barbara Kentner, a 34-year-old Anishinaabe mother.Bushby was charged with second-degree murder after Kentner died in July 17, six months after she was hit in the stomach with a trailer hitch thrown from a passing vehicle while she was walking down a city street in Thunder Bay.Bushby, 18 at the time of the incident, was originally charged with aggravated assault. The charges were changed following Kentner’s death.Bushby’s preliminary hearings concluded last October.Kentner’s family had traveled to Thunder Bay for Tuesday’s decision, which was supposed to determine whether Bushby will face trial.The victim’s aunt, Lisa Kooshet, said the family is disappointed they didn’t get a decision today but are thankful for the community’s support, which included a vigil outside the courthouse.Barbara Kentner’s daughter Serena, Kentner’s aunt Lisa Kooshet and sister Melissa stand outside a Thunder Bay courthouse on Jan. 15 after travelling to the northern Ontario city to hear a judge’s decision on whether Kentner’s accused killer will stand trial. Willow Fiddler/APTN.“It wasn’t meant to happen today and maybe Barbara had something to do with that, is how I felt in the courtroom,” she said. “Maybe it is next Monday, just wasn’t for today. Maybe the importance of the vigil was where her heart was.”Kentner’s teenage daughter Serena said waiting for justice has been difficult.“This has been going on for so long and my mom, she deserves justice, and I deserve to finally be able to grieve,” she said. “I just want this to be all over so I can finally start grieving.”wfiddler@aptn.ca@WillowBlasizzolast_img read more

Read more

Womens basketball Kelsey Mitchell earns second Big Ten Player of the Year

Ohio State junior guard Kelsey Mitchell attacks the lane against Maryland on Feb. 20 at the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Magee Sprague | Lantern reporterOhio State junior guard Kelsey Mitchell was named the 2016-17 Big Ten Player of the Year for the second time in three seasons. She was also named to first team All-Big Ten for the third straight season.Mitchell leads the Big Ten in scoring at 23.4 points per game and was also awarded Big Ten Player of the Week four times throughout the season. She currently sits as the Buckeyes third all-time scorer with 2,463 points and holds the Buckeyes’ record for 3-pointers. Mitchell mentioned she earned the award by trying to contribute to team play.“I don’t set individual goals of winning certain awards, but I try to get better each day and do whatever I can do to help my team win. We’ve had a great year and my teammates have been tremendous and I can’t wait to get back out on the court with them,” Mitchell said in a press release.In her last 10 games of the regular season, Mitchell scored at least 20 points per game. She was able to contribute more than just points, averaging 4.5 assists against Big Ten opponents and had the most steals on the team snatching the ball 39 times.Mitchell has some company in Big Ten awards as five other teammates received Big Ten honors. Senior forward Shayla Cooper, redshirt junior forward Stephanie Mavunga received second team Big Ten honors. Junior forward Sierra Calhoun was named an honorable mention and freshman Tori McCoy earned a place at the Big Ten’s All-Freshman team. OSU heads into the Big Ten tournament with the No. 1 seed, facing either Iowa or Northwestern at noon on Friday. read more

Read more

Homeless man who rushed to help Manchester attack victims has emotional reunion

first_imgJessica had not seen him for five years and said she wanted to reconnect with her son, explaining she was very “proud” of his actions.After a phone call, it happened on Friday.“We were having a chat and he got quite emotional,” Jessica said.“I said ‘Do you want me to come up?’ and he said ‘Yes, I do. I need you mum.’”Mr Parker’s brave actions also sparked an outpouring of support from people moved by his story and well-wishers have raised £50,000 to help him turn his life around. “He’s completely overwhelmed by it all,” Jessica said.“He never envisaged that sort of money, ever.”Michael Johns, who set up the GoFundMe page, said: “Like many others I have been horrified by the news from Manchester. GoFundMe has confirmed it has been in contact with the page’s creator about his fundraising efforts.Mr Parker was just one of the many heroes who shone light in Manchester’s darkest hour.  A homeless man who rushed to help the victims of the Manchester terror attack has been reunited with his family.Chris Parker, 33, was in the foyer of the Manchester Arena when the bomb that killed 22 people leaving an Ariana Grande concert detonated.His mother, Jessica, did not know her son had been sleeping rough until she saw him on TV giving his account of how he heroically ran into the venue and cradled a dying woman in his arms. “Everyone was piling out, all happy and everything else. As people were coming out of the glass doors I heard a bang and within a split second I saw a white flash, then smoke and then I heard screaming,” he said.“It knocked me to the floor and then I got up and instead of running away my gut instinct was to run back and try and help.“There was people lying on the floor everywhere.“I saw a little girl … she had no legs. I wrapped her in one of the merchandise T-shirts and I said ‘where is your mum and daddy?’ She said ‘my dad is at work, my mum is up there’.”He added: “[The woman] passed away in my arms. She was in her 60s and said she had been with her family.“I haven’t stopped crying.“The most shocking part of it is that it was a kids’ concert.”center_img “Amongst the sad details, one story has stood out for me and compelled me to make an effort to help one of our most vulnerable in society who showed great selflessness and courage. “This GoFundMe campaign is for the benefit of Chris Parker [who] selflessly and heroically ran towards the blast zone to help those affected.”The rough sleeper tearfully recalled the moment a woman died in his arms and how he helped a little girl who lost her legs in the atrocity. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings.last_img read more

Read more

Ruimveldt man charged with possession of unlicenced gun ammo

Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedMiner nabbed with gun, ammo in North RuimveldtMarch 5, 2017In “Crime”Plumber accused of shooting at Police with unlicenced gun, ammo remandedApril 23, 2018In “Court”1 in custody over discovery of firearm, ammo at ItaballiMarch 21, 2016In “Crime” One of the men arrested by Police ranks on Sunday last and allegedly found to be in possession of a illegal firearm along with ammunition was on Tuesday charged with the offences.The unlicenced .38 revolver and five roundsChristopher Rogers, 28, of West Ruimveldt, denied the charges read to him which alleged that he had a .38 revolver along with five .38 ammunition in his possession while being unlicenced for same.On the day in question, Rogers was reportedly stopped by ranks of the anti-patrol unit while traversing with four others in motorcar HC 4061 when he was allegedly found with the gun and ammo hidden in his pants crotch.He along with the other occupants were arrested but he was later charged.His Attorney, Dexter Todd in his bail application questioned why was his client the only one charged with the offence and refuted claims that the objects were found on Rogers.He told Magistrate Judy Latchman that the gun and ammunition were reportedly found in the car which led the ranks to take all the occupants into custody.However, Todd explained that since his client had a previous incident involving a Justice Officer, he alone was charged with the present offences.Police Prosecutor, Arvin Moore objected to bail being granted as a result of the prevalence and seriousness of the offences. read more

Read more